Bri and Stefen

Bri and Stefen

Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Grandpa

While we were in Utah we were able to visit my Grandpa John. He is the only grandpa I have alive and he is one of my favorite people. About 2 weeks before Stefen and I got married my grandpa got hit by a car while he was crossing the street. Besides the broken bones and cuts and bruises it pushed his dementia forward by about 10 years from where it was from. He now is in a home permanently and he has a hard time remembering who people are. It was tough to see him in the condition he is currently in. I havent seen him since May and he was in pretty good shape then. He had all sorts of stories to tell Stefen and I about how the place he lives in was built using the old Navy ship he used to live on. We went one day and he had no shoes on. It took me about 20 minutes but I talked him into showing him his room and we found shoes. Which turns out are not his shoes. My grandpa and another old guy sat by this big door for 20 minutes talking about all the work that needed to be done. It was hysterical. 

We finally after about 5 minutes were able to talk him into a picture (the bottom one.) After we took the picture he took our camera and he swore it was a garage door opener. 

We were able to go visit my grandma a couple times (no pictures :( ) and she gave me a bunch of his fishing stuff that he had. When we were little he bought each of my sisters and I our own fishing poles. I was able to get that too. I will always remember fishing and making bullets and going duck hunting with one of my favorite people.
Right after his accident. When we walked into his room in all our wedding gear he was so bummed to find out we were there to just take pictures and we werent there so he could watch us get married. It broke my heart. But we were able to give him a tie and his corsage.

Gramps and I on December 27th 2012. He didnt know who I was but agreed to take the picture anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment